About Me

My photo
Who are we? We are 2 friends who love their hometown of Toronto and wanna explore every inch of it. We found this "City Walks Toronto: 50 Adventures on Foot" city guide and have made it our mission to complete them and document our adventures. Our blog consists of our sometimes-witty commentaries as we complete each walk. The black text represents information from the cards. The coloured text written in "Comic Sans" font is Monica speaking; the coloured text written in "Georgia" is Alma. ENJOY and please feel free to leave us your comments!

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Backwards!

#13 QUEEN STREET WEST

DATE: Friday, September 3, 2010.
TIME: 5:35pm - 7:55pm

Historically a hipster-only zone, this stroll along Queen Street West now welcomes all comers while still retaining its artsy vibe. Expect eternally youthful urban fashions and funky pubs.

I stand corrected, this is our most spontaneous walk yet. After we finished our ever-so-short Dundas and Baldwin Village walk, we decide to knock Queen Street West off the to-do list as well. We’ve always wanted to do 2 walks on one day, and these are both short ones so it works. However, not without controversy.

It made more sense to do this backwards, a la the Seinfeld India episode or Momento. Now according to my memory, Alma in the past was opposed to doing walks backwards. Back when we did the Entertainment District, which was our 2nd walk, after we were done we walked along Queen Street from west to east. And I mentioned that we were essentially doing that walk, just backwards. In my memory, Alma didn’t think it would count because we’d be doing it the wrong way. But Alma doesn’t seem to remember this. So now she’s got me doubting my memory….

I figured that since we're already near Queen St... we might as well do the walk! But my memory has been failing me the past year, so I may have said that we'd be doing the walk incorrectly. Maybe I've become less uptight about the walks too since there have been so many errors! Sorry Mon for letting you doubt your memory, I would trust your brain more than mine any day.

Some of the sites as we make our way down to Queen Street:




Queen and Spadina: the beginning (or the end) of our walk. 


I have definately explored Queen Street West in my time. In high school, a trip downtown usually started at the Eaton Centre, included a walk down Queen Street and ended with a movie at the Paramount (now called Scotiabank) just south of Queen off John. My most memorable shopping trip down Queen Street would have to be prom dress shopping with my friend Celina. I think that this makes sense as a walk in Toronto for tourists to check out. I imagine that every city has a similar busy street of funky boutiques and one-of-a-kind stores, and classic bars. In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, when Harry, Hermione, and Ron narrowly escape danger at Bill and Fleur’s wedding, Hermione apparates them to Tottenham Court Road. In my mind, I’ve always imagined it to be like Queen Street West. (It’s true! I promise I’m not only saying that in effort to make an HP reference. I mean, yes that’s the purpose, but I didn’t just make this up!!!! …. Stop giving me that look Alma.)

(How'd you know?! I was totally questioning your HP reference while reading it! Not 100% sure I believe you... Tottenham Court Road... how was it described to make you think of Queen St.  Mostly because it's late at night when they arrive and still lots of places open. Cafes and bars. And lots of drunk ppl on the street shouting out at them. And dark alleys. Reminds me of Queen street at the end of a night when the clubs and bars are all closing.) 

Anyway, I find that stores on Queen Street often change, and I don’t really keep track of them that much. Alma, however, immediately recognizes that a couple of places on this walk are closed.


9. Horseshoe Tavern (370 Queen St. W.)

This former honky-tonk bar how hosts performances that span the ages as well as genres- a perfect metaphor for anything-goes Queen.


I don’t think I’ve been to the Horseshoe Tavern since the inaugral Smashfest almost 7 years ago. That night, we also went to the Rivoli, which is also on this walk. Back then when we were just Smashfest-virgins, the idea was that Smashfest would include bar hopping. However, that quickly changed when we decided that all we could afford was heavy pre-drinking and then one bar.

Oh the infamous Horseshoe Tavern... 
Quick story... 
A couple years ago, I wanted tickets to see Adele play here. I had found out about tickets sales a bit too late and was unable to access a computer when tickets went on sale. So, I told my bro about it and he was fortunate enough to purchase 2 tickets online. 
Now my brother was courting Darlene at the time and he had mentioned to her that he got tickets to Adele's show. She was impressed and kinda wished she could go.
My bro told me this... and i guess he was kinda asking, but not, whether he can take the tickets to bring her. I must admit, I was a bit disappointed since I wanted to see Adele perform (esp with Mark Ronson's high praises)... but it seemed like it was more important for my brother to go, in pursuit of a girl.
So... my brother and I had to make up a reason to Darlene, why I was giving up the tickets... (the reason ended up being that I had a midterm or exam the following day).
The two went to the concert... and well... 
...they got a table right at the front
...got to meet Adele outside of the Horseshoe
and so...
...got her autograph.
**deep sigh**
... At least they're still together. 

Whoa! Sounds like Alan owes you big time. Does Darlene know the truth now?

8. Change Room (425 Queen St. W.)

…for the latest in British style.


I think this store originated from Pacific Mall.. .but don't quote me on that.

7. Lululemon Athletica (342 Queen St. W.)

…a Canadian brand of yoga wear.


Really?
Yeah... really?!

6. Rivoli (334 Queen St. W.)

Well since the cards don’t have anything to say about the Rivoli, I feel like I should. It openned in 1982. It’s as old as us! That’s all I got.

The last time I was here was sometime during my 1st year teaching. A friend of a friend of my friends Brandon & Lisa did a stand up routine on an amateur comedy night.

I don't think I have any memories here... actually.. I'm sure I haven't been in here before. There are concerts that play here too sometimes. I get this place easily mistaken for the Horseshoe.


We stop off at David’s Tea (which is just next door to the Rivoli) for some refreshments. Spontaneous trivia question: There was a David’s Tea another walk – that we didn’t go into. Name that walk. Answer: * * * Bloor West Village* * * 
Alma did some research on David’s Tea. Do share Alma!

Talk about pressure, Monica!
Ummm... can I just post you their link?!
okay...let's see what I can recall without looking.
Young fellow starts David's Tea in Montreal, opens first shop here in Toronto (which happens to be the one picture ((although I don't see the picture))).
... that's all I got.
here's the link:  http://www.davidstea.com/

Uh, I can’t remember what I got. Do you Alma? The guy helping us was very nice and patient. He let us smell and sample lots of different blends. Including one that smelt like honey and nuts and had a really, really sweet aroma. I then jokingly said, "Smells like a lot of calories". I think he thought I was serious, cause he responded by saying seriously "It’s zero calories".

I believe you got watermelon?! Am I right?! Does that sound familiar?
I was looking for a Jasmine tea and ended up with something Citrusy.. I dont know how that happened. I took a long time to pick one too. Our drinks were steeped and then served chilled.
Mon wanted me to get the Jasmine tea that had butterfly shaped loose leaf. 


5. Silver Snail (367 Queen St. W.)

A city favourite- carries graphic novels and comics.

This store definately looks too cool for the likes of me.
Maybe your brothers would appreciate a store like this...
I think every boy likes comic books.

4. Black Bull (298 Queen St. W.)

A pub famous for its street-front patio as for the middle-ages Harley riders who hold court there.




We should go here one day and check it out.

3. Pages Books and Magazines (256 Queen St. W.)

…one of the city’s best independent bookstores.

And it’s closed.

I didn’t intially recognize the store on the card. Never knew the name of this place. It was always a good place to chill and wait for people or for movie times. And what a great location- surprised that another business hasn’t already openned up.

Sorry you guys, I took a picture of this place and for some weird reason, it won't upload... I swear we were there.
I liked this store for its somewhat 'indie' vibe in literature. I once had to order a Saul Williams book of poetry from here, since Chapters didn't have it... It took 2 weeks for Pages to get it. The book made a lovely birthday gift, that my friend said he had read more than 4 times in the week of receiving it. 

Since we didn't have a picture for this, i thought, I'd add in one from the internet (from the stores photostream on flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/pagesbooks/page5/)  Obviously this was taken before it closed down.


2. Fluevog Shoes (242 Queen St. W.)

The eponymous boutique of Canada’s edgiest footwear designer.

Before we even got here, Alma mentioned that she’s always been too intimidated to go into the store. I didn’t understand it until I saw the place for myself.


FYI, I felt very self conscious wearing my ratty old gray Old Navy flip flops, 3 seasons old. We were surrounded by some very cool, but very unaffordable shoes.



1. CHUM-City Building (299 Queen St. W.)

These are the headquarters of several media stations. Continue past the studios, where concerts appealing to a mostly teenage audience are staged, to arrive at Speaker’s Corner, where, for only a dollar, you can record personal rants and have them broadcast on local television later.



Well, its now the CHUM-CTV building since CHUM sold City or City sold CHUM… Whatever it was. I’m still not used to the switch. Now City is affliated with MTV Canada instead of Much Music. So weird? And CP 24 no longer the all day news channel of City? Even though all the old City staff works. Like Ann, the host of Breakfast Television when I was in elementary school. And just so weird that this isn’t the City building anymore. So iconic. 


Once again google to the rescue. This is a picture of Speaker's Corner back in its heyday. (Heyday. what a weird word....)

Also, no more Speaker’s Corner. Ahhh…. In OAC for one reason or another, I promised my friend Jonathan that I’d apologize to him for something on Speaker’s Corner. So after the Walk Against Male Violence, and a pit stop at the Peel Pub, Alberto, Linsey, Jackie and I went to Speaker’s Corner so I could give my rambling apology. They give you like 2 or 3 minutes, which quite frankly was way too much time – hence the rambling. Didn’t help that we were coming from a pub. I doubt that it ever made it to air. Which is a good thing. The Speaker’s Corner show was usually something you watched when nothing else was on TV. There were always regular appearances by 2 annoying guys in skin tight devil costumes. And the Barenaked Ladies used it as a forum for exposure before they were famous. They should totally bring it back. Just make it a web show if not a TV show.
Wow... Speakers Corner... you totally nailed it on the nose about those memories of watching nonsense when nothing else was on. i think those guys in the devil suits had their own show for a bit.

Any CHUM building memories Alma? Pinch anyone famous here?
Wow Mon... when asking about Chum memories, I was thinking to myself "I have no such stories here..." until i read your next line. Mon... you know my life better than my own!

What Mon is referring to is my time I went to see an etalk interview of Jonny Buckland and Chris Martin. I had heard about the interview on a coldplay fan website and emailed some lady to be apart of the audience. My bro and I waited in line for 3 hours to see the free taping. We ended up sitting in the audience and got both their autographs! I was so nervous when Chris was around, had nothing to say... so when he was signing something I pinched the side of his hand. He didn't flinch or anything. I don't know what possessed me to do that, but yeah... I'm odd. 

My brother won the Viva La Vida LP album and then had Jonny sign it. Pretty awesome day.
The youtube video for this interview is still online- 
you can youtube etalk coldplay... and all 4 parts are there for your viewing pleasure...
if you watch the 2nd part... i made the small whooping sound and you can see my brother and i at the end! 


 We make it to the official starting point. All smiles even though we both have to go to the bathroom. Surprised we even stayed still long enough for this.

Monica Rating: Hmmmm…. Well, like I said, I think this is an essential tourist walk. And even though I’d been down this stretch a zillion times, there was still stuff I hadn’t noticed, like Fluevog’s or the Silver Snail. Don’t think that something as commmercial as Lululemon should have been on the walk – unless it was the flag ship store like David’s Tea – which wasn’t on the walk. Think they should have mentioned some of the other unique boutiques. Like Fashion Crimes - a costume store that also sells formal wear – Jeanne got her wedding dress from there.
I’m going to give it 2.5  "queen-street-punks" out of 5 PunkPunk

Alma Rating: I guess I'll give this walk a 2 out of 5... I guess it's cause I've also been on this street several times.. and writing this entry kinda brought back a lot of memories from high school and university that I haven't thought of for a long time. 
Smile with tongue Smile with tongue


No comments:

Post a Comment